Thursday, April 12, 2012

Jack's Path of Courage

Author:  Doreen Rappaport, 2010, Disney
Illustrator:  Matt Tavares

Wow! 

That is all I can say after reading Jack's Path of Courage.  The illustrations are so astounding and so life-like that I thought they were photographs.  We all have images and ideas of the Kennedy family, especially the President, but this book gives a lot of childhood information about our 35th president.  For example, I did not know that President Kennedy suffered severe back pain all his life.  He seemed like he had a lot of vitality, but he was secretly suffering.  Perhaps the most familiar part of the story, his assassination, was only briefly covered in this book.  I was pleased that the author explored more of his early years instead of only focusing on the trauma of November 22, 1963.  This is an incredible source of history, and I would encourage everyone who reads this blog to read this book.  It is thoroughly researched and includes a selected bibliography at the end.  I was surprised at how much I liked it, and I think you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment