Thursday, April 12, 2012

Don't You Dare Shoot That Bear!

Author:  Robert Quackenbush, 1984, Prentice-Hall

Everyone needs to read a good "retro" book every now and then, so why not check out Don't You Dare Shoot That Bear!  A Story of Theodore Roosevelt?  This book was published in the mid-1980s, and you can tell how far we have come technologically since then.  For example, the author gives excellent, historically-accurate information about TR, but the illustrations are very bland in comparison to other books I have reviewed.  Two little teddy bears provide some humor on every page, though I can't say I laughed too often.  The humor was dry, and many children may not understand it.  The one positive aspect about this book is definitely the accurate historical information.  I gathered that the author has had some experience writing about famous individuals based on the other books he has written, which are listed on the inside back dust cover.  While this was certainly not my favorite book, I enjoyed it because of the information about our 26th president, who, incidentally, is the inspiration for the beloved teddy bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment