Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Heart of a Shepherd

Author:  Roseanne Parry, 2009, Random House

When I find a book I really enjoy reading, I treasure it.  I cannot describe how much I liked Heart of a Shepherd  by Roseanne Parry.  Ignatius, commonly called "Brother," is not used to taking care of the family's ranch.  With 3 older brothers and a father, he is looked upon as a child.  But, everything changes when his father is called to serve in Iraq, and his brothers scatter to Boot Camp and boarding school.  Brother is left to help his grandparents run the ranch.  He communicates with his brothers via e-mail and instant message on the computer, and they constantly give him advice.  (That must be what older brothers are meant to do.)  Through all the ups and downs of life on the ranch without his family, Brother ends up the hero as he rises to man of the house.  He also realizes a call into Christian ministry during this period, which is a huge part of his growth.  And, in the end, his brothers respect his work unlike ever before.

This is the ultimate heart-warming, heart-wrenching juvenile chapter book.  I identified with Brother because I also grew up on a farm and know the challenges associated with rural living.  His call into ministry touched me deeply because I have felt a similar call for my life.  I loved the honesty and determination of the characters in this book, especially when Brother stepped up and took charge at a very young age.  I admit to crying by the end of the story because of the life changes experienced by this family.  It is more than one would wish for an adolescent to experience, but it happens in our world more often than we may realize. Try this book with 6-8 graders.  The reading is not difficult, and the storyline is appropriate.  I promise that the heart of this shepherd will melt yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment