Saturday, February 18, 2012

Owen

Author:  Kevin Henkes, 1993, Greenwillow Books

For my children's literature class this week, I am required to read five picture books.  As you can see from my recent posts, I tend to rate picture books very highly because they are so enjoyable to read.  So now, I present to you one of the best picture books ever written:  Owen.  I know by now you have looked at the copyright date and thought 1993 was ages ago, but that is beside the point.  Owen was one of my favorite books when I was a child, and it remains at that status 20 years later.  It is a story about a little mouse who loves carrying his blankie everywhere he goes.  It accumulates stains, smells, and general wear and tear, but no one can pry Owen away from his blankie.  His neighbor, Mrs. Tweezers, reminds Owen and his parents that he cannot take that blankie to school, and that greatly distresses Owen.  His mother figures out that by making small hankies from the blankie, Owen can preserve his best friend and still carry small pieces of it to school.

This is the story of my childhood.  I had a blanket that I drug around everywhere.  It got so thin and worn that everytime I visited one of my aunts or grandmas, someone had to mend it.  I was just like Owen.  And perhaps that is why my aunt gave me this book as a present when she got married.  It remains at the top of my picture book list, and I encourage anyone who teaches kindergarten to read it to their students.  It will bring a smile to your face as it still does to me, even after so many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment