Saturday, February 18, 2012

Bill and Pete

Author:  Tomie de Paola, 1978, G. P. Putnam's Sons

I know what you are thinking:  Why on earth would Mr. Leeper choose a picture book from 1978 when there are so many new ones to choose from?  You have a very valid point, but I did this for a reason.  You see, this was another one of my favorites when I was a child.  The copy I have is actually my mother's (most likely from 1978!), and it is still in great condition.  The way I see it, no matter what the publication date is, if it is good literature, keep a copy on your bookshelf.  That is exactly what I have done with this story by Tomie de Paola.

William Everett is a crocodile who is getting ready to start school.  His mom takes him to the store to pick out a toothbrush, which is actually a living bird named Pete.  When William Everett starts school, he learns many things, including how to write his name.  Since his name is so long, he shortens it to"Bill" after Pete convinces him it is much simpler to write.  Bill and Pete become steadfast friends, and when an evil man steals Bill from the River Nile to make a suitcase out of him, Pete comes to the rescue, picks the lock of the cage, and lets Bill out.  Bill, wanting to make sure the man can never make suitcases out of a crocodile again, scares him while he is taking a bath.  And guess what?  The man didn't stop running until he got to Cairo.

In today's politically correct culture, teachers may not want to expose children to the reality of making suitcases out of crocodiles.  That is their call.  However, I challenge them to look past the evilness of that act and see the story rooted in friendship and love.  The pictures reflect de Paola's typical style, as seen in such books as Strega Nona.  I think this is a wonderful story and a reflection of a simpler time.  And, it showcases two friends and a loving mom, which will always remain very important parts of life.        

No comments:

Post a Comment