Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Adventures of Ook and Gluk: Kung-Fu Cavemen from the Future

Authors:  George Beard and Harold Hutchins, 2010, Scholastic

Until I heard that I had to read a graphic novel for my children's literature class, I did not know what one was.  I never read comics as a child, so the idea of putting comics in a story format (such as a book) was hard for me to understand.  I must say, though, that I loved The Adventures of Ook and Gluk.  From a teacher's standpoint, I recognized its terrible grammar, punctuation, and word conjugation.  From a reader's standpoint, however, I though it was hilarious.  The two characters and their baby dinosaur set out to destroy Mr. Goppernopper, the leader of Caveland.  On the way, they get transported to the year 2222 A.D., where they stay and learn Kung-Fu for seven years.  The knowledge they gain under Mr. Wong, the Kung-Fu teacher, propels them to outwit Mr. Goppernopper and take back Caveland.  And, in the end, Ook marries Mr. Wong's daughter and takes her back in time.

The spelling and grammar is a nightmare for any teacher.  Just the idea that students read material like this makes me cringe.  It is almost written in a child-like format.  The illustrations are all done in pencil, retained in black and white, and reflect an elementary artistic pattern.  (Disclaimer:  I am not one to judge art because of my lack of artistic ability, but it is evident that this book is meant for young children.)  Nevertheless, as an educator, I see the value in reading for pleasure without needing to think critically, something I often refer to as "mindless reading."  This book certainly fits that bill.  I finished the book in just over an hour, and it made me laugh more than once while never managing to tax my mind. 

I would not suggest this book to be read aloud to a classroom because I think one might send the wrong idea to children, especially in a time when "text" language is already so prevalent.  However, this is a way to get your students who don't particularly care for heavy reading to enjoy books.  I especially think  boys will like this, and it is a great way to get them interested in reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment