Sunday, March 18, 2012

Mr. Putter and Tabby (Series)

Author:  Cynthia Rylant
Illustrator:  Arthur Howard

During spring break, I chose to read the Mr. Putter and Tabby series by Cynthia Rylant.  This children's series is about an old man and his cat, who are strikingly similar in demeanor.  Mr. Putter prefers tea and cakes to hard work, and his cat, Tabby, takes on a human personality.  The two of them live next door to Mrs. Teaberry and her dog, Zeke.  While Mr. Putter and Tabby are bleak, Mrs. Teaberry and Zeke are full of fun.  The foursome blends well together, and the reader can't help but notice the loving relationship between Mr. Putter and Mrs. Teaberry, as well as between Tabby and Zeke.  I loved this series because of its traditional storylines and feel-good endings.  From the series, I read the following books, all beginning with "Mr. Putter and Tabby..."
  • Walk the Dog
  • Stir the Soup
  • Run the Race
  • Row the Boat
  • Paint the Porch
  • Fly the Plane
  • Feed the Fish
  • Bake the Cake
  • Toot the Horn
  • Catch the Cold
  • Pick the Pears
I don't believe I could pick a favorite from this list.  Each book has its funny parts, and they are perfect for young readers.  Children who are beginning to read chapter books would really enjoy this series.  Each book has around 5 chapters, and the chapters include only a few pages.  I remember when my sister was in first or second grade, she and my mom read the entire series several times.  My sister loved Tabby because she had a cat that looked just like Mr. Putter's.  I believe, for this reason, many young girls would love the stories in this series, but maybe some boys would like them too.  They are great stories of friendship, and that is a quality we all should cherish.

Mr. Putter and Tabby

No comments:

Post a Comment