Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Gingerbread Man

Author:  Jim Aylesworth
Illustrated:  Barbara McClintock, 1998, Scholastic
Traditional Literature

"Run, Run, as fast as you can.  You can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Man!" 

As soon as I saw this story, I knew I had to read it for my blog.  I can still remember reading The Gingerbread Man when I was a young child, and I had to reread how a cunning cookie could outwit so many, and be outwitted by an equally cunning fox.  The Gingerbread Man runs away from the people who baked him, from a butcher, from a cow, and from a sow, but a sly fox tricks him and gobbles him up.  It is a fun tale that many children have probably heard, so as a teacher, you can have the children act it out or retell it to each other.  The pictures in this particular version are quite amusing, and they include cows and sows who wear dresses and bonnets.  I laughed at the expressions on the characters' faces throughout the story and, in the end, I knew that the Gingerbread Man had gotten what he deserved.  Have fun with this piece of traditional literature, and allow your students to actively take part in the telling of this tale.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment