Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sarah, Plain and Tall

Author:  Patricia MacLachlan, 1985, Harper & Row
Newbery Award

Do you ever wistfully think of a simpler time?  In our world today, time moves so quickly, and we often long for open fields, blooming flowers, and the wind blowing across the open plains.  That is exactly what I picture when I read Sarah, Plain and Tall.  This story takes me back to a bygone era, one in which entertainment had to be discovered; it wasn't readily available.  Anna and Caleb lost their mother after Caleb was born, and they long for a woman to make her home with them.  Their father puts an advertisement in the newspaper for a wife (talk about a mail-order bride!), and lo and behold, Sarah Wheaton responds from Maine.  She leaves her brother and aunts behind to find a family who loves her dearly. 

Most children in my area read this book in the third grade; however, I do not believe I ever read it.  Some people in my children's literature class thought I would really enjoy the book, and I am so glad they recommended it.  I am a simple person, and I loved picturing Anna's and Caleb's home.  It was a classic, feel-good story, and I enjoyed reading about a hassle-free, plain and tall life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment